Monday, September 16, 2013

Confucianism Response

1) Is this a religion or not?  Why do you think so?
- To me, it does not seem like a religion. I did not see any mention of a god or gods. It just seemed like a set of rules, similar to thar of Hammurabi's code of law.

2) Does this reading support the idea that people are born good/bad/neutral? Refer to three examples (using the book, section and line number as the citations) that support your point of view.
- This reading supports the idea that people are often born with mistakes, but they can be corrected.

Examples

1. "“When I walk along with two others, they may serve me as my teachers. I will select their good qualities and follow them, their bad qualities and avoid them" (Legge, Book VII, Chapter XXI).
- This interesting quote reinforces the idea that the people you are around often have bad and good qualities, majority of the times they are not perfect. They may also serve as your teachers since you can learn from their mistakes or imperfections.

2. "The Master said, 'I will not be afflicted at
men's not knowing me; I will be afflicted that I do not know
men" (Legge, Book I! “CHAP. XVI.")
- I believe this quote id trying to say, "I will not be affected if other men do not know me[see my mistakes], but I will be if I know others[see their mistakes].

3. “He who aims to be a man of complete virtue in his food does not seek to gratify his appetite, nor in his dwelling place does he seek the appliances of ease; he is earnest in what he is doing, and careful in his speech; he frequents the company of men of principle that he may be rectified: -- such a person may be said indeed to love to learn.”(Legge, Book I, Chapter XIV).
- This quote illustrates the perspective of Confucius, he believes that someone can turn good by doing good.


No comments:

Post a Comment